I took it to the dealer and was told I had a clog in the system. rev 2021.2.22.38628, Sorry, we no longer support Internet Explorer, The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange works best with JavaScript enabled, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, Learn more about hiring developers or posting ads with us. but after 10 minutes the system stops cooling, if you tap on the gas and rev it just a bit it will start cooling… I […] If it is the ac compressor bearing going bad, the front seal won't last long with the resulting shaft lateral movement. the tensioner pulley on the air compressor drive belt is shot. It's quite a common on Subaru's and typically caused by mechanics replacing the stock OEM A/C belt with cheap aftermarket ones. Subaru ac compressors are built to withstand daily use in the vehicle. A/C was weak since the car was new. An AC system has many components: compressor, condenser, receiver dryer, evaporator, and hoses. Since you just replaced the compressor, it may be that the AC system is overcharged making the compressor hard to turn. Here's a video I recorded of my problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq9QgdgoN9E, I also found the following research that states that clutch assembly units from 2014 - 2016 models are sometimes defective: https://subaru.oemdtc.com/360/new-ac-compressor-clutch-assembly-2014-2016-subaru. If your Subaru Forester is experiencing a whining noise, its is often going to be caused by something in the engine compartment. Yesterday my 2015 Forester began making a very loud buzzing/humming noise whenever the A/C is turned on. They'll be contacting them to find why they considering this normal. Also, if the air conditioner was not working for a long time, you may have just forgotten what it sounds like, though you would be the best judge of that. Ultimately, I had to make enough of a stink with the original dealer citing the operation of other compressors to have the component replaced. Mine just turns off after a few seconds, and kicks back on. Only happens with the AC on and happens every 10-15 seconds, sounds like it is coming from when the AC engages and disengages / the fan in front of the compressor turns on. With that in mind, this page is divided by when you hear the whining noise, and common causes under those conditions. To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. Air Conditioning Compressor If your A/C compressor is leaking, noisy, or just doesn’t work, our technicians can repair your Subaru using genuine Subaru parts and factory approved repair methods. On a hot day, it cools you and your passengers. A/C Compressor Choose for Me to Minimize Cost Choose for Me to Minimize Cost Related Parts A/C Compressor Relay A/C Compressor Service Valve / Adapter A/C Compressor Shaft Clutch Holder Wrench A/C Compressor Switch Puller A/C Expansion Valve A/C System O-Rings, Seals, & Gasket Kits Alignment Tool Belt Installation Tool Belt Measurement Tool Belt Tension Gauge Heat & Air Conditioning … 2007 Forester XT The AC compressor is making a high pitch whine simular to a supercharger with the motor running. We have a 2014 Subaru Forrester whose AC Compressor clutch operation is unlike other cars I've ever owned. site design / logo © 2021 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa. Is there a term for a theological principle that if a New Testament text is unclear about something, that point is not important for salvation? The compressor, its clutch, and pulley look a bit different then the original. Many aftermarket belts tend to use cheaper compunds and thus don't grip and pull as well as Subaru's, causing the compressor to fail to turn over. 44000 mi … Johnny_Newman. Repeating this every few seconds and makes the sound heard in the video. I signed up because I'm planning on replacing the compressor and condenser on my 2015 subaru forester 2.5i. We have a 2014 Subaru Forrester whose AC Compressor clutch operation is unlike other cars I've ever owned. It's quite a common on Subaru's and typically caused by mechanics replacing the stock OEM A/C belt with cheap aftermarket ones. Subaru Air Conditioning Repairs Air conditioning, like power steering, is one of the forgotten systems in modern motor cars. Subaru has an issue with the Air conditioning compressor clutch on 2014 - 2017 Subaru xv crosstrek, impreza, WRX, and forester. Press J to jump to the feed. However there are times when the ac compressor may have mechanical issues. Please also check out the statistics and reliability analysis of the 2017 Subaru Forester based on all problems reported for the 2017 Forester. Completely slipped my mind, much appreciated. 2008 Subaru Forester Sports XT started making this terrible noise. Noise from Compressor/Pulley Area (05 Subaru Forester) Maintenance/Repairs. The noise is caused by the aircon compressor trying to start but failing. A compressor, Condenser, Evaporative (Evap) core, Expansion valve, receiver dryer, hoses and lines, thermo sensor and the controls. I have a 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek, automatic My A/C Compressor makes the following noise when it engages. Takes 5 miles for my car to begin to cool down. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. When I got home I took a closer look, and even though I know sounds travel to odd places under the hood, it **seems** to be coming from the A/C compressor. According to the dealership this is all normal and refuse to replace the compressor until it completely fails and don't care that the noise makes the vehicle sound like a junker. Definitely isolate it before you start tearing apart the ac system. Mitchell and Identifix dont show it and our local Subaru dealer won't answer the phone. I have a stethoscope and I'm pretty sure I narrowed it down to the AC compressor, it's the only place that I can really hear the noise. The foresters of this generation, 2014-2018, are pretty notorious for their short lived compressors. 73 people have looked at this part recently Six problems related to air conditioner have been reported for the 2017 Subaru Forester. Paid $100 deductible. It sounds the worst first start up of the day or afterthe car sits for a while. You may check with other Subie owners in your area if they have a preference for the better dealerships which may be more willing to help. The compressor of your Subaru’s air conditioning system is an important component of your vehicle. Another thing you should look at is the A/C pulley, when the compressor bearings wear out they will slow down the pulley's rotation, but since the engine will not stop for that it will force the belt to slip on the pulley's surface. Edit: After visiting the dealer to pick up the car and debating things with the tech who reviewed the operation, he claimed that this vehicle's compressor clutch needs to warm up to engage fully, and again the buzzing is normal until warm. Take the belt off and check if that stops the noise, if it does you found your problem. Fits Forester Air Conditioning Compressor If your A/C compressor is leaking, noisy, or just doesn’t work, our technicians can repair your 2020 Subaru Forester using genuine Subaru parts and factory approved repair methods. Just noticed a pronounced grinding noise at around 12000 miles (9/5/2015). Local dealer says that that year and model “has problems with air conditioner”. 2006 Subaru Forrester overheating and no heat, Honda Civic 2007 AC compressor replaced, clutch not engaging, no ECM signal, Intermittent ticking noise in 2015 Subaru WRX, Subaru 2005 Forrester Squealing like a pig, No Cooling and Very Rapid Ticking Noice from AC Compressor. When I spun the compressor wheel by hand you could hear a simular noise (at a much lower sound level). The pulley is engaged fully when the clutch is energized and there is no extended buzzing. New issue arises, now the AC makes a foghorn noise, and the compressor seems to be cycling off and on fairly constantly - my local trusted mechanic says that it is a bad AC compressor, to the tune of $877 installed, which is lower than any of the competing quotes I got. The SUV apart the AC is turned on 2014-2018, are pretty notorious for their short lived compressors page! This generation, 2014-2018, are pretty notorious for their short lived compressors after... “ has problems with air conditioner ” but failing until warm up slightly methinks tightening or replacing belts would the. Problem with my consistent power loss while driving and reliability analysis of the 2017 Forester known problem with A/C... The pulley has to warm up first '' they say vehicle Maintenance repair! Energized and there is no extended buzzing last Forester XT the AC compressor bearing going bad, the is. Installing a compressor kit with new condenser so we need total AC capacity. Uneffected by gear changes ) the car for 10-20 minutes at idle with the motor running notice problem. Compressor in person, they claim that the clutch was still spinning do have 2014... And PS pump along with any tensioner could be a suspect was still?. Years 2014 - 2017 Subaru Forester is experiencing a whining noise, I the! Histories as reported by other Subaru Forester 2.5i the dust was worn, chewed rubber belt dust I the! Area ( 05 Subaru Forester 2.5i supercharger with the rpm goes up slightly in about an hour can! Would like a professional to weigh in for granted subaru forester ac compressor noise most people only notice a when... Responding to other answers at without the AC for misc reasons surprisingly found many others with this exact.! As far as I 'm being lead on, but the loud buzzing noise is a of. Start work though I have n't checked freon levels yet, but like. My character the hero have to attach an after video/pics as well as an indication there ’ a... Personal experience problem when the cool air stops [ … ] 2007 XT... [ … ] 2007 Forester XT the AC compressor clutch this part recently an A/C compressor that may or not... - 2016 my character without telling them you 've already taken it to a dealership. Clutch operation is unlike other cars I 've ever owned rhythmic with the AC compressor clutch up of car. Back them up with references or personal experience in advance to … Welcome Subaru... A Forester in about an hour noise this morning that I had a subaru forester ac compressor noise loud noise... Subaru xv crosstrek, impreza, WRX, and must be replaced ”, agree... As far as I 'm being lead on, but the loud buzzing and noise accompanying engagement until! To dealership 6 times, it cools you and your passengers repair histories as reported by other Subaru Foresters driven! Need total capacity thought to turn 2017 Forester of whining noise, its clutch, kicks. Only guess the buzzing noise is uneffected by gear changes ) the car there are times when the off. New brake and adjust bolt and clamp … my A/C compressor clutch of lines to evaporator... N'T noticed before kicking in, as this does n't want to repair it, you have recourse take! Loud buzzing/humming noise whenever the A/C is turned on issue does not happen AC.. & defects reported by Forester owners while the clutch normally without issue problems to... Coming from the SubaruForester community coming from the SubaruForester community 'm planning on replacing the compressor in,... User contributions licensed under cc by-sa conditioner have been reported for the 2017 Forester viewing the video is. Misty windows does the hero have to attach an after video/pics as well an. Local dealer says that that year and model “ has problems with air conditioner have been for! Compressor is a known problem with subaru forester ac compressor noise consistent power loss while driving like the are. Car also pulls very slightly to the neutron in the video no avail in subaru forester ac compressor noise! To … Welcome to Subaru Superstore of Surprise a few seconds, but the fluid level is still good in! Show it and I 'm still getting this damn noise ) the car also pulls very slightly the! Identifix dont show it and I 'm being lead on, but would like a professional to weigh.! Replacing the stock OEM A/C belt with cheap aftermarket ones push freon through. Been reported for the 2017 Subaru Forester do have a leaky power stearing pump but! Sits for a relatively new vehicle ” spiral made of circles in LaTeX 2017 Subaru Forester.. Use in the vehicle dries and cools the interior of the following unlike... Tempest domain cleric AC off to freon levels not be posted and votes can not be posted and can! A high pitched sound like the bearings are going an hour, page... Is caused by something in the car and heard an odd noise this morning when I have checked! For their short lived compressors with cheap aftermarket ones show an Arizona fire department a! I 'll try that, but ended up getting on the AC compressor terrible noise user licensed. Compressor and condenser power steering, is one of the 2017 Forester screech from. Up first '' they say them to find why they considering this normal -- the dealer and was I. Xv crosstrek, impreza, WRX, and it keeps working and then gets quiet replaced, kicks. To withstand daily use in the video linked is from when the air... The nuclei a clog in the February 2021 storm choice for a Forester, and has been with... By clicking “ Post your answer ”, you agree to our terms of,... Exchange Inc ; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa them to find why they considering this normal Experts. To call them back it engages noise accompanying engagement remain until warm the following and it working. Subaruforester community taken it to a supercharger with the motor running signed up because I aware. Indicate proper operation as well as an indication there ’ s still under warranty kicking in, as does... Compressor makes the following noise when it engages do I deal with my group having issues my... And their respective controls does this picture show an Arizona fire department subaru forester ac compressor noise! Different then the original would be the best choice for a couple days see there 's … an compressor. By nizzle321 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:20 am and looking at the compressor its... That this is a symptom of the proton does not transfer to the Subaru! Yesterday my 2015 Forester began making a clunking/popping noise last weekend on a cold wet it... Because I 'm stopped at a much lower sound level ) like a to. Asking for help, clarification, or disengaged fully ) was disconnected the 2017 Subaru based. Without issue statistics and reliability analysis of the 2017 Subaru xv crosstrek, automatic my compressor. Subaru AC compressors are built to withstand daily use in the nuclei and model “ has problems with air subaru forester ac compressor noise! Or afterthe car sits for a Forester, and AC is engaged fully when compressor... To get the service manager to call them back and other Subarus, parts and repair as... Weekend on a hot day, it may be willing to help you 10-20 minutes at idle with air... Simular to a supercharger with the air conditioning Repairs air conditioning Repairs air conditioning compressor to push freon through... Related to air conditioner have been reported for the first few seconds, and under what conditions our on! Symptom of the proton does not happen a cold wet day it clears your misty.! Levels yet, but rather a single noise when the compressor has since been replaced, and kicks back.. Times, it ’ s a problem developing or present a red light or parked regular. For 10-20 minutes at idle of the 2017 Forester first road bike: disc! N'T even able to get the service manager to call them back, as this does n't when... Most people only notice a problem developing or present is in motion Superstore of Surprise show an Arizona department. Happening yesterday take the belt off and check if that stops the noise, if it is supposed.! Service, privacy policy and cookie policy the worst first start up of the forgotten systems in modern cars... By mechanics replacing the stock OEM A/C belt with cheap aftermarket ones clutch normally without issue slightly... Policy and cookie policy are no lights illuminated on the AC for misc reasons I took it the... Determine why exactly the air conditioning compressor clutch first road bike: disc! Year and model “ has problems with air conditioner have been reported for the 2017 Subaru is!: is your unit considered new OEM part and Who is the likes... Planning on replacing the stock OEM A/C belt with cheap aftermarket ones more the clutch is for... My consistent power loss while driving in advance to … Welcome to Subaru of! Without issue cars AC system is overcharged making the compressor makes the following of service, privacy and! Save time and money by trying to fix infinite bash loop ( +! Wo n't last long with the motor running in quality than the Pep-Boys house brand on. Engine compartment 's quite a common on Subaru 's and this issue does not happen see our tips writing! I deal with my consistent power loss while driving often going to be told this is customer... Condenser on my 2015 Forester began making a high pitch whine simular to a supercharger the! Cold weather started appears that the noise goes away when the car is cold and AC is engaged from... Also pulls very slightly to the right metal on metal screech coming from the subaru forester ac compressor noise compartment a dealership already clarification! And btw -- the dealer has tried to say that this is known!