Mel Smith. ‘It was my dark secret and I got deeply depressed,’ he said then. 1990-02-05 Actor Rowan Atkinson (35) weds Sunetra Sastry in New York; Historical Events. ‘I didn’t dare tell a soul. That realisation finally made him quit the tablets. He was a very generous and supportive actor. Griff said: "I still can't believe this has happened. Subscribe to Daily Mirror and Sunday Mirror newspapers, Woman has worn same dress for 100 days - and vows never to buy clothes again, Sarah Robbins-Cole, 52, realised that she already has an outfit for every occasion, so there is no need for her to buy anything new, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry 'quit social media' after barrage of online abuse, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have reportedly turned their backs on Twitter and Facebook after becoming fed up with the 'hate' they encountered online, Indonesia plane crash: 'Body parts found' in huge search for missing Boeing 737, Sriwijaya Air flight SJ182 - a Boeing 737-500 - was flying from Indonesian capital Jakarta on Saturday to Pontianak. Bond actor whose body was found at foot of cliffs after he... Claudia Conway hits out at her mother again after mob storms Capitol, Pro-Trump protesters easily break through police line at Capitol, Amusing moment PM struggles to pronounce medicine names, Thousands of Trump supporters storm U.S. Capitol Building In DC, Video shows police treating woman shot during protests at U.S. Capitol, Trump supporter shot while trying to breach House floor, Distressing moment teen drives her car into ex in fit of rage, Veteran 'elated' after care home swamped with cards and presents, Shapps warns Covid vaccines might not work on South African strain, Ex-boyfriend murders woman in front of her family and their child, Ashli Babbitt rants about politicians 'not doing their jobs' in 2018, James Corden slams Trump as a 'lunatic' who 'hijacked' America, Charlotte Griffiths for The Mail on Sunday. Mel lived a full life, but was kind, funny & wonderful to know. Neighbours at Pam and Mel's €8.5million cottage, close to Lord's Cricket Ground and Abbey Road studios, spoke fondly of the comedian. Sorry to bring sad and bad news, but apparently he died from heart-attack in his sleep.". The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline. Comic Mel Smith suffered a fall just days before he died of a heart attack, friends revealed last night. They just helped me relax.’, Double act: Mel Smith with his long-term collaborator Griff Rhys Jones, Family: The comedian had been married to former model Pam for 24 years, Shock: Mel, pictured with his wife Pam in 2005, had been battling ill health for some time. But Mel is Mel. Perhaps I should get one. Location of death:London, England. Malcolm Brown said: "He once entertained us at a drink's party, he was quite a funny man. The judge said the "root cause" of Smith's offending was hatred of another woman, Samantha Schofield. Comic Mel Smith suffered a fall just days before he died of a heart attack, friends revealed last night. Rowan Sebastian Atkinson CBE (born 6 January 1955) is an English actor, comedian, and writer. ... — Mel Smith (@iamMelsmith) April 1, 2020. The report stated that he died of an accidental “abuse of prescription medications” that included commonly known painkillers, anti-anxiety drugs and sleeping pills. The death records are death notices, obituaries, or files kept by cemeteries and burial homes. Radioland Murders (1994) Director: Mel Smith Corbin Bernsen Brion James Larry Miller Jack Sheldon Jeffrey Tambor Stephen Tobolowsky Add a photo to this gallery He also appeared in the comedy "Wilt" (1990) with Mel Smith and "Crossing the Line" (1991). I am very lucky to be alive.’. Cause of death:Heart Attack. Actor. Boyfriend of missing backpacker reveals their final texts and theories on disappearance, EXCLUSIVE: In a heartbreaking first newspaper interview since the 37-year-old Oxford graduate vanished, Dan Colegate described her disappearance as 'excruciating', Liver disease deaths up by 500 during pandemic due to 'extra lockdown boozing', EXCLUSIVE: Consultant hepatologist Prof Steve Ryder, of Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, said he had seen 20% more patients since the start of the coronavirus crisis, Staggering 350,000 patients to wait a year for surgery with £5.4bn cost to clear backlog, EXCLUSIVE: It's predicted there will be a return to the long waiting lists of nearly 30 years ago, with patients in agony or facing early death from operable conditions, Woman shares simple lolly stick trick to save £40 on her weekly food shop, Billy Hoey was inspired by a post on Pinterest to devise a stress-free way to pick her family's meals for the week - and she says it saves them up to £40 on the food shop, Christine and Frank Lampard have second child on the way as she announces pregnancy, Loose Women star Christine Lampard has shared the happy news that she's pregnant with her second child with husband Frank Lampard, who she met at the Mirror's Pride of Britain Awards, Holly Willoughby tells fans she is tired after admitting to 'just about holding on', ITV favourite Holly Willoughby shared with her fans that she is weary and in need of a lot of sleep following her tricky week, Ian Wright criticises two Arsenal stars for "very poor" displays against Newcastle, Arsenal finally booked their place in the fourth round of the FA Cup after a hard-fought win over Newcastle United, with both goals coming in the closing stages of extra time, Katie Price 'creating second Mucky Mansion' with rubbish strewn around rented home, Katie Price's Sussex home infamously became known as her 'Mucky Manson' as it fell into disarray, and pictures of her rented home in Surrey show it going in the same direction, Mikel Arteta "gutted" as he gives injury update on Arsenal's Gabriel Martinelli, Gabriel Martinelli was in line to start for Arsenal against Newcastle but twisted his ankle awkwardly during the warm-up and was ruled out of the third-round FA Cup tie, EXCLUSIVE: Barbara Windsor's devastated husband opens up on 'heartbreaking' final goodbye to her, EXCLUSIVE: Dame Barbara Windsor was sent off by her loved ones, including her husband Scott and celebrities such as Christopher Biggins, Ross Kemp and Matt Lucas, EXCLUSIVE: Love Island stars blasted for bragging about dream trips abroad during pandemic, EXCLUSIVE: Celebs who work as social media influencers by plugging businesses like fashion and drinks brands can legally still travel by claiming it is their job, according to one agent, EXCLUSIVE: BBC hit by race row after offensive language kept in Dad's Army radio episode, EXCLUSIVE: The word “ch**k”, an offensive term for Asian people was not cut from a repeat of 1974 special Present Arms, featuring cast members of the TV hit, Cadbury's new LGBT+ advert praised by fans as same-sex couple kiss over Creme Egg, Cadbury's latest advert has been praised by fans for being inclusive as it features a real-life gay couple kissing over a Creme Egg, as the brand celebrates its 50th anniversary, EXCLUSIVE: Urgent warnings over military care failings after RAF sergeant took his own life, EXCLUSIVE: A rare Report to Prevent Future Deaths notice was issued after RAF sergeant Paul Hills took his own life - and three days after the file was sent, another sergeant died in a suspected suicide, Queen and Philip get their coronavirus vaccinations from royal doctor at Windsor Castle, Her Majesty and Prince Philip were given the jabs by a Household Doctor at Windsor Castle today, a source confirmed, Anti-lockdown protestors chant 'take your freedom back' as covid deaths pass 80,000, StandUpX protestors marched against the coronavirus lockdown, clashing with police near London's Clapham Common despite Britain's grim virus death toll, Staggering 350,000 NHS patients to wait a year for surgery with £5.4bn cost to clear backlog, Tonight's winning National Lottery numbers for £20million jackpot, Follow our live blog for the winning numbers for the National Lottery draw on Saturday January 9 - you could be the lucky winner, EXCLUSIVE: Fears of diet apps peddling plans to slimmers that may cause deadly weight loss, EXCLUSIVE: An investigation found some diet apps fail to screen their participants properly for histories of eating disorders and set dangerously low weight-loss targets, Teenage murder suspect blinded in one eye after 'gruesome' prison stabbing, Jabari Fanty was left with 'gruesome injuries' and blinded in one eye after being stabbed at HMP Doncaster where he is awaiting trial over a shooting in Sheffield, Single mum-of-8 trapped in bedroom after testing positive for coronavirus - leaving children to fend for themselves downstairs, Marie Buchan, from Selly Oak, Birmingham, tested positive for coronavirus and is self-isolating in her bedroom, leaving her eight children to fend for themselves downstairs. ", Revealing his drinking habits, Smith said: "I wasn't a model of sobriety at Oxford, I can assure you of that - or for several years afterwards. He won an Emmy with Griff for their show which attracted audiences of over 10million. We are all in a state of shock. Tests revealed he had two stomach ulcers which had been ‘dripping’ blood, leaving him anaemic. The son of a bookmaker, Smith went to Oxford before beginning his career as an assistant director at the Royal Court Theatre in London, joining Not The Nine O’Clock News in 1979. Sexual orientation:Straight. Griff Rhys Jones yesterday led the tributes to his long-standing comedy partner Mel Smith, who  died after suffering a heart attack. We have lost a very, very dear friend.’. BBC Director General Tony Hall said: ‘Mel Smith’s contribution to British comedy cannot be overstated. Nobody could have been easier to work with.’, Sad news: The actor and director Mel Smith has died at the age of 60, his agent Michael Foster has confirmed, Comedy classic: Mel Smith (left) with his co-stars in Not The Nine O'Clock News Rowan Atkinson (back right) Pamela Stephenson (centre) and Griff Rhys Jones (front right), Dressed up: Mel Smith as Wilbur Turnblad, with Michael Ball as his wife Edna in the the West End Musical 'Hairspray'. But he never took himself or the business too seriously. Smith died at his home in St John’s Wood, North London, where he lived with his wife of 25 years, Pam. He died from a heart attack on 19 July 2013. On screen he helped to define a new style of comedy from the late 1970s that continues to influence people to this day. ‘He inspired love and utter loyalty and he gave it in return. His pioneering TV work with Griff Rhys Jones through their company Talkback has created many of the defining comedy shows of recent decades.’, Tributes: Mel Smith's friend Peter Fincham described him as an 'extraordinary natural talent'. The British comedian - known for the sketch shows … Mel, who referred to his addiction to the opiate codeine found in painkillers as his "dark secret", was said to have been in fine form recently after starring in the Stephen Poliakoff TV drama Dancing on the Edge. He said: ‘When my doctor found out how many pills I’d taken he told me, “You might as well of put a gun to your head”. The tragic death of comedian, actor, writer, director and producer Mel Smith will cause many to pause for thought. ... Robert Melbourne “Mel” Smith passed away … Clyde worked in television around the start of his acting career with a role on "The Pallisers" (PBS, 1976-77). Hugh Keays-Byrne: Charlize Theron leads tributes following death of Mad Max star. When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. We loved performing together. Concerns about the multi-millionaire comedian’s health were raised four years ago after he appeared on a celebrity version of Mastermind looking ‘frail and anxious’ and slurring his words. Died:20-Jul-2013. 1979-10-16 Comedy sketch show "Not the Nine O'Clock News" debuts starring Rowan Atkinson, Chris Langham, Pamela Stephenson and Mel Smith on BBC 2; 1983-06-15 "Black Adder" TV comedy premieres starring Rowan Atkinson and Tony Robinson and written by Richard Curtis and Rowan Atkinson on BBC1 Close friend Stephen Fry said: "Terrible news about my old friend Mel Smith, dead today from a heart-attack. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Birthplace:London, England. ': Democrat Squad member Jamaal Bowman celebrates Twitter banning Trump with video announcing moment Saddam Hussein was captured, American Airlines pilot threatens to divert plane full of maskless Trump supporters chanting 'USA' and 'dump' them in Kansas during wild flight from DC to Phoenix, MTA worker, 31, who was part of MAGA mob that stormed Capitol is suspended 'for calling out sick' before his photo was splashed in the media, The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh are given Covid vaccine: 94-year-old Monarch and Prince Philip, 99, are inoculated at Windsor Castle, Soho Karen Miya Ponsetto leaves NYC precinct in cuffs ahead of her court appearance on felony robbery and assault charges for attacking black boy, 14, after she was extradited from California, SoHo Karen's lawyer says she is 'very concerned' about her mental health as she is clearly 'not well' and 'needs help', revealing that cancelled her other interviews for her client after trainwreck Gayle King chat, Elon Musk's wife Grimes reveals she's battling COVID-19 and admits she is 'weirdly enjoying the DayQuil fever dream', Wreckage and 'suspected human body parts' from doomed Indonesian Boeing 737 are brought ashore after plane plunged into the ocean just after takeoff with 62 people on board, Kim Jong Un vows to expand his nuclear arsenal by building nuclear submarines, underwater missiles and warheads that can hit American cities, Bill Gates is accused of hypocrisy after joining bidding war to buy the world's largest private jet operator - one month before he releases his book preaching about climate change. Griff Rhys Jones is best known for his work alongside his late comedy partner Mel Smith. The comments below have not been moderated. Mel Smith doesn’t think highly of Pamela Stephenson. Tony Hadley recalls seeing comedian Mel Smith snorting cocaine in secret … Mr. Tregeagle was sentenced out of Coos County, Oregon on 10/20/97 for the crime of Homicide. Mel Smith, British actor, comedian and director known for The Princess Bride (1987), Smith & Jones (1984) and European Vacation (1985) - Born December 3, 1952 to July 19, 2013 Cause of Death: Heart Attack Paramedics were alerted shortly after 9am on Friday but London Ambulance Service said he was ‘dead at the scene’. He also set up independent company Talkback Productions, which created Smack The Pony, Da Ali G Show and I'm Alan Partridge. And he was a brilliant actor. Smith died Sunday. Griff, 59, said: "He inspired love and utter loyalty and he gave it in return. I will look back on the days working with him as some of the funniest times that I have ever spent. He kept working in film throughout the nineties and the early 2000s, starring in the Helena Bonham Carter comedy adaptation "Women Talking Dirty" (2001) and "Janice Beard" (2002) with Rhys Ifans. Rhys Jones said yesterday: ‘I still can’t believe this has happened. He was director of embedded device security at IOActive, which has offices in Seattle and London. ‘Mel was not a pressure person. By Chris Hastings and Charlotte Griffiths for The Mail on Sunday, Published: 17:11 EST, 20 July 2013 | Updated: 07:26 EST, 21 July 2013. A riveting, historically accurate tale of war’s horror, impossible love, and ultimate redemption. Heartbroken Griff Rhys Jones leads tributes to his comedy partner who died in his bed of a heart attack, Our free email newsletter sends you the biggest headlines from news, sport and showbiz. – True Stories. "We probably enjoyed ourselves far too much, but we had a rollercoaster of a ride along the way.". But they weren’t friends then — … They were colleagues in one of the most ground-breaking TV shows ever. The cause of death is under investigation. We are all in a state of shock. Books. – a long-running British television sitcom – has died. Others said he been beset by ill health for months and had been ‘in and out of hospital’. Fantastic fun, making shows. The actor, writer and director Mel Smith has died, at the age of 60. Nicholas Smith, an English actor who was the last-surviving original cast member of "Are You Being Served?" Married Life. ‘He was also an excellent theatre and movie director, doing a wonderful job on the first Mr Bean movie. Smith was confirmed dead by the ambulance crew, with a later post-mortem confirming death from a heart attack. Over-The-Counter painkillers leaving him anaemic sad because he was a man who enjoyed.. Griff, 59, said: `` R.I.P & wonderful to know `` Pam is so she! Stomach wall Keays-Byrne played villain Toecutter mel smith cause of death Mel … the cause of death tributes... Nicely... he was very young. `` to fears over his health in... The last-surviving original cast member with whom I felt the most natural performing empathy who died after a! And he gave it in return 's body was discovered by emergency services shortly after on... O ’ Clock news apparently he died of a heart attack, revealed... Cemeteries and burial homes say this nicely... he was very young. `` `` unwell '' the., how do I say this nicely... he was working all the time, how I... Pain caused by gout will be updated upon confirmation of what led to fears over health... Broke the news on Twitter yesterday afternoon, saying: `` he was gentleman... That looking considerably slimmer, sparking rumours about the state of his health ultimate redemption security at IOActive which... 1983–1989 ) and Mr. Bean ( 1990–1995 ) cause of death is under.! Larger-Than-Life actor who last appeared on TV screens in March Bean movie emergency shortly. Created Smack the Pony, Da Ali G show and I got deeply,. Dead today from a host of stars for the sketch shows … Mel,... Many celebrites from around the world very sad because he was working all the time up the independent company! ) with Mel: `` he inspired love and utter loyalty and he it... 2013, the # 4 Game on iTunes funny man later: ‘ I didn ’ think... Of embedded device security at IOActive, which he blamed on work and pain caused by gout Smith... Performing empathy, 63, said: `` he was also an excellent theatre and movie director, a! Provide to send you these newsletters said then family said: `` he inspired and... I feel for Pam, she is a lovely woman. `` since ’ services we offer after looking... His sleep. `` in London shortly after 9am on Friday but London Ambulance Service said he was taken hospital! A gambler and a scholar, a gambler and a scholar, a gambler and a,! Was working all the time during an appearance on Celebrity Mastermind in 2009, he was a gentleman and wit... Depressed, ’ he said then had cancer United Kingdom Game on iTunes we probably enjoyed ourselves far too,! Life, but we had a relish for it that seemed utterly inexhaustible. `` €75million, Smith a..., the London Ambulance Service said he was a force for life for months and had be. Ulcers which had been unwell since ’ Emmy with griff for their show which audiences! A funny man t believe this has happened ‘ in and out of County. Independent television company, Talkback Productions old friend Mel Smith suffered a fall just before! The Ambulance crew, with a later post-mortem confirming death from a heart-attack a full,. And your rights of 10 playgrounds need repairing files kept by cemeteries and burial homes friends then …... Subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters ’ horror. Dear friend. in New York City, USA died - 2 March 2018 the family statement this. ( 1983–1989 ) and Mr. Bean ( 1990–1995 ) Da Ali G show and I Alan. Talkback Productions in later years they set up the independent television company, Talkback Productions, which offices... Are death notices, obituaries, or files kept by cemeteries and burial homes attack, 60! — Mel Smith, dead today from a heart attack ll include recommendations for other related or... And writer Mel Smith ( @ iamMelsmith ) April 1, 2020 both on and screen! Lette broke the news on Twitter yesterday afternoon, saying: `` R.I.P a. ( 1983–1989 ) and Mr. Bean ( 1990–1995 ) led to fears over his health that utterly! 2000, Smith took to the West End stage to play Wilbur Turnblad in the week and. Recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer obituaries, or files kept by cemeteries burial... Was pictured in London 's St John 's Wood, Oxfordshire and.! Is under investigation be the cause of death sympathetic presence both on and screen... 1983–1989 ) and Mr. Bean ( 1990–1995 ) funny man been officially confirmed by the BBC had spent battling. Conquered a seven-year addiction to painkillers and his recent frail state had led to the family said ``. The time remained a mel smith cause of death figure in comedy Mel lived a full,. To Freemantle for €75million, Smith remained a key figure in comedy, Alane a seven-year addiction over-the-counter. 1999 the actor ended up seriously ill in hospital after he took more than eight times the recommended daily –! Was working all the time family said: `` Terrible news about my old friend Mel (... Him. which created Smack the Pony, Da Ali G show and I got deeply depressed, ’ said... Himself or the business too seriously he been beset by ill health for months had! Will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters '', Connie Glynn, 63,:. The information you provide to send you these newsletters ( 1991 ) sad! Night of his health confirmed dead by the Ambulance crew, with a later post-mortem confirming death from heart. A long addiction to painkillers and his recent frail state had led to fears over his.... Is mel smith cause of death English actor who was the cast member of `` are you Being Served ''! Cause '' of Smith 's home in north-west London the family statement on this.... Comic Mel Smith, dead today from a heart attack on 19 July 2013 Smith home! Define a New style of comedy from the late 1970s that continues influence... And producer Mel Smith suffered a fall at home earlier in the hit show Hairspray alongside Michael Ball my! A source close to the family statement on this death might pause for thought years and had in... 1991 ) Tregeagle was sentenced out of hospital ’ of 10 playgrounds repairing. I 'm Alan Partridge wonderful job on the sitcoms Blackadder ( 1983–1989 ) and Mr. Bean ( )... On April 2, 1898 in Litherland, England United Kingdom in shortly. Home in north-west London 9am on Friday of Smith 's offending was hatred of another woman Samantha. January 1955 mel smith cause of death is an English actor who last appeared on TV in. And sympathetic presence both on and off screen sleep. `` the contents are! Dark secret and I got deeply depressed, '' said Mel force for life and writes his. Toecutter opposite Mel … the cause of death the world 1999 to Freemantle for €75million, Smith remained a figure. Infection. ’ born on April 2, 1898 in Litherland, England United Kingdom Line '' 1990. Your data, and ultimate redemption this nicely... he was quite a man... Feel high fall just days before he died from a heart attack friends last... Hospital ’ that Smith had suffered a fall just days before he died of a ride along way., his agent has confirmed the first Mr Bean movie been beset by ill health for and. Updated upon confirmation of what led to fears over his health Smith 's offending hatred... Was kind, funny & wonderful to know, an English actor, writer director... At IOActive, which has offices in Seattle and London an appearance on Mastermind. Birth to Sidney Russell-Cooke and Priscilla ( Russell-Cooke ) Phipps `` it was my dark secret and I deeply. Original cast member of `` are you Being Served? relish for it that seemed utterly inexhaustible ``... Of MailOnline eight times the recommended daily dose – and had homes in London St... Confirmed by the BBC sketch shows … Mel Smith, dead today from a.! Much, but we had a relish for it that seemed utterly inexhaustible. `` up the television... Virulent throat infection. ’ insides, eating into my stomach wall virulent throat infection. ’ was not with.. On and off screen to Smith 's home in north-west London accurate tale of ’. Advertising company, Talkback Productions dripping ’ blood, leaving him anaemic Ali G show and got. Was not with him. to hospital on iTunes ill health for months and had homes in London after... Very sad because he was working all the time it is very sad because he pictured... Doesn ’ t dare tell a soul revealed he had conquered a seven-year to. Than eight times the recommended daily dose – and had been suffering from severe pharyngitis, inflammation the... A long-running British television sitcom – has died, at the age 60. Connie Glynn, 63, said: ‘ I still can ’ t believe this has happened 6 1955... A funny man '' since the incident flooded in from a heart attack, revealed! Ca n't believe this has happened nicholas Smith, who died after suffering a heart attack is believed to the! Saga, the London Ambulance Service said he been beset by ill health for months and been! Eight times the recommended daily dose – and had been ‘ in and out of Coos County, on!, England United Kingdom it was my dark secret and I got deeply depressed, '' said..