Doors and windows are also available. DIY Truck Camper Living out of a pick-up truck isn’t as glamorous as you think. DiploStrat, I understand the idea behind a sandwich structure but it is still overbuilt. Have you considered buying a shell and modifying? Pry the shell trailer from the mold once the resin dries, using a wooden mixing stick. Ingenious Camper Shell. Repeat this process at least six times. I would need to create some external channels which robs me space and is not elegant. Related How to Install a Floor in a V-Hull Boat. In reality this is asking for much more impact strength than really needed, I mean if you hit an aluminum sided camper that didn't have foam bonded on the backside (ie like my FWC with fiberglass insulation) this hard with a hammer you'd likely punch into it. The more you lay the resin and fiberglass, the thicker and heavier the shell will be. Repairing Fiberglass: This Instructable comes from a recent project I have been working on that involves fixing up an old fiberglass travel trailer. What's more, the camper shell walls cut through the air instead of hitting water head-on, as is the case wit boats. you could use basswood as some boats do to decease your weight even more. The camper shell is made of fiberglass and coated for sharps hazard safety, which means the shell is not a smooth surface, rather rough and non-uniform in texture.--Permanent adhesion to the truck frame and shell is not desired. For that reason, I’m still considering coating the exterior in fiberglass, although it’s unlikely I’ll go that route. Separate the fiberglass sheets into smaller glass fibers. Sand the carving down with 180-grit sandpaper and cover in auto body filler. Insulating a truck camper shell is of primary importance in the winter months. Make sure not to make the coats too thick or your shell will be brittle. Mainly due to strength issues. Waxing the mold is imperative to ensure the surface of your shell trailer will be smooth. Utilizing a one-piece fiberglass shell, the MOD is claimed to weigh as little as 700 pounds for the 300 model ($22,000), which is designed to fit most midsize trucks. When we built the rig we didn’t want a major investment in a larger outfit since we could not travel enough to justify the expense. Window and door openings can be cut per your specifications. this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stitch_and_glue. Very elegant monocoque construction. Copyright 2021 Leaf Group Ltd. / Leaf Group Media. 5 Best Fiberglass Camper Trailers (with Bathrooms) Fiberglass camper trailers are the best! You can frame the shell using aluminum or you can fasten the shell on directly using the appropriate connectors that vary from truck to truck. Print . Riding High: The Stories that Jupiter's Travels Didn't Tell. They also offer a camper body design that is ready to assemble. Updated October 19, 2017. Many thanks for the replies. These three things combined are poor mans fiberglass. Explore America's Campgrounds . Apply the resin, brushing it on in one even coat. DIY Camper Shell Liner No one wants condensation dripping down on their sleeping bag, face, and gear while truck camping. while the fiberglass gelcoat is just a ready to use surface. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. Take your fishing, hunting, and camping game to the next level with these 15 best DIY truck bed camper designs that will help transform your trucks into big camping luxuries. Spray the polyester primer on top of the auto body filler and allow it to dry. With a 9-foot floor plan, this truck camper shell includes a queen-sized bed, a wet bath, a dinette, and a kitchenette. The structure would gain its strength from its complexity, not from the raw strength of any one panel. Email . It looks great and costs more than aluminum. So my thoughts on a good camper shell have been changing and evolving. For each month we recalculate the weighted average price for the products found with query 'Fiberglass camper' between price range 500 - … Hard tonneaus often cost more than a basic aluminum camper shell. Poor Mans Fiberglass is a process of combining an adhesive like Titebond 2 (sometimes diluted with water) or “gripper” primer that is made to help paint adhere to surfaces, Material like canvas or bed sheets, and outdoor paint. If the inside of your camper shell is carpeted or upholstered, you can hold your curtains in place with strips of heavy-duty hook-and-loop fastener. You have the freedom to design your shell trailer any way you like; however, proper equipment is important. Yes, we may be partial to them (our first camper was a 1985 Fiber Stream) – nevertheless, fiberglass trailers have a lot of advantages.We’re not talking about RVs with cheap fiberglass side panels. Paint the fiberglass camper shell with four coats of automotive paint. DIY Fiberglass Camper Skin. If I put a screw in XPS I can take if off by hand, but a screw in wood is solid. #takethetruck #DIYcamper #truckcamping #truckcamper. Doors and hatches are then cut on marks engraved by the computer cutter. See more ideas about camper, camper shells, diy camper. It can be used for waterproofing or decoration. Making your own fiberglass shell trailer is preferable to purchasing one because the cost of building one yourself will be much lower and the overall weight of the shell much lighter. Making your DIY fiberglass camper shell is essential if you want to convert your truck into your sleeping space without having to put up a camping tent. DIY builds, plans, ideas, conversion guides all about creating camper storage, organization, aesthetics, and a place to meet basic needs while tiny living. I was stationed in Hawaii some 25 years ago and watched a guy in the military moral support wood shop build and wood and fiberglass a truck cap. You only need the right tools, supplies, and a weekend set aside for the building project. Use a razor blade to remove the excess glass sticking out of the shell. Here is part one of wrapping my foamie in fiberglass. Research shell trailer designs at retail stores. The weigted average price for a used Fiberglass camper is $17,141. Drying time varies according to the primer manufacturer, so follow the directions on the bottle. Refer to your drawings for proper connector types and fasten them on in the appropriate areas. Northern Lite’s fiberglass clam-shell exterior makes it one of the best truck camper shells. DIY fiberglass camper shell Plans. But its something to shoot for. You must log in or register to reply here. Let's count all the layers. Glue several foam blocks together to make a large foam block that you will carve into a mold. Poor Mans Fiberglass, Permanent Exterior Paint, Never Paint Again (almost), Waterproofing With Out Epoxy, Fiberglass Epoxy Allergy Relief: Back in 2011 I built a teardrop camper, at the time I needed a place to sleep a few nights a week as the long drive home was causing me to fall asleep behind the wheel way to often. The teardrop is then flipped over, the mold removed, and the shell is sheathed on the exterior with a tough coating of fiberglass. Yes, these DIY truck bed camper ideas will make you skip those boring installation of camping tents and will also save you from sleeping on the cold tent floors. With a razor blade or knife, carve the foam into the shape of your trailer. Take detailed dimensions and drawings of the trailer you have selected, including the areas where it will connect to your vehicle. 3. Spice up your family camping with these 5 homemade DIY camper shell plans that you can build by yourself on your vehicles to add a sleeping bed space and all the luxury that will provide ease of travel and camping. New, basic aluminum utility shells may cost less than $1,000 installed and ready to drive. Sep 8, 2020 - All things related to DIY camper build and projects - whether a truck shell camper, camper van, trailer, suv, car, bus, or other small camper. The more you lay the resin and fiberglass, the thicker and heavier the shell will be. I got the plans for the teardrop free from the best teardrop traile… The weighted average price reduces all the prices down to one single price. © 2005-2019 Overland International, Inc. All rights reserved. Not only is this camper super sturdy, but you won’t have any issues with leakages either. Come and see our selection The entire underside of this fiberglass shell … Andreas tells me that it takes 18 hours to assemble a camper body. Repeat this process at least six times. Well, there is no reason you couldn't just fiberglass the pieces together as a solid unit. JavaScript is disabled. Wood is hardly medieval and when used appropriately is exceptionally strong. I guess Airstream has been getting it wrong all these years. Use light even coats, overlapping the coats as you spray. Quyen Tong began writing professionally in 2006 when he launched a nutrition information website named Complex Nutrition. No one wants condensation dripping down on their sleeping bag, face, and gear while truck camping. By comparison, a color-matched fiberglass shell with a roof rack ranges from $2,000 to $3,000 depending on the … Allow the auto body filler to dry for a few hours before sanding with 220-grit sandpaper. Gripper; Sheets; Paint Those who work with metal frames and various plastic panels work the other way - the panels add no strength. This DIY guide to installing a camper shell liner, will help you insulate your camper shell, cover up the ugly exposed fiberglass, and keep that condensation from ruining your truck bed camping adventures! Allow your mold to sit for three to four days while waxing daily. Problem 2- where do I route the tubing or cables? Sep 10, 2019 - Explore Kenallen allen's board "camper shells", followed by 196 people on Pinterest. Check out this DIY mini camper built from a common utility trailer, fine grade plywood, and maintenance-free fiberglass. Find a shell that fits your truck and a style you like. Cabover Campers Acapulco a compact 8' camper with toilet room Bayou a compact 8' cabover camper with toilet room Cascade a 9' cab over camper with toilet room Dixie a 9' rear dinette camper Everglade a side entry 11' cabover camper Fairhaven an 11' compartmented camper Grandview an 11' front kitchen/rear dinette camper Importer a compact camper for most import or compact trucks Dont worry about the wood, if it were a full blown RV, well OK good arguement, but it is a smallish unit. Pry the shell trailer from the mold once the resin dries, using a wooden mixing stick. Months in the making! This little rig was home built from a salvaged fiberglass pickup topper because my wife and I did not care for what was commercially available. Windsock, the problems with aluminium are numerous. Jan 30, 2015 - See how this man, Jean-René Rodrigue, designed and built his own ultra-lightweight micro camper teardrop trailer... More information Using foam and fiberglass to make a DIY pull behind camper weatherproof - clever Related How to Fix a Soft Spot on the Roof of a Camper. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. The major disadvantage is that the resulting structure is quite a bit less strong and durable than an actual fiberglass shell. If you're going through all of the time and effort to use 'glass why use wood for ribs? From my reading, usually when people build fiberglass structures they build and skin the frame with thin marine plywood. You can build your own DIY camper shell or simply buy one from an auto parts dealer. You might want to review this thread and compare notes with the builder. In the remodeling of this trailer, I was left with many small holes from antiquated peripherals on the sides of the traile… The carving will also be the polar opposite of your final product. So any furniture I attach to XPS will actually rely only on the strength of fiberglass, but whatever I screw into wood will strengthen the whole construction even more by pressing furniture/fiberglass/wood against one another. All you need is the hook part. Having a shell trailer allows you to store your belongings in your truck bed while keeping them safe from the weather. A little heavy but it was EASY and it came out great. But building a camper shell yourself is more beneficial. However, if you use wood or plywood to build the camper shell, you can still add layer with fiberglass. When my ETS came up several month later I went home and in my Mom's garage with only a few rudimentary tools did the same. He specifically chose wood/fiberglass because it allowed him to maximize his own skills, allowed complete flexibility on tank and cabinet shapes, and (and this is the point I really like) because all of the internal fittings - seats, cabinets, tanks, etc., serve to reinforce the external shell. They have some of the best shells in the market. I would stick with wood ribs as they will be easy to mount things to and provide a lot of strength and are fairly light weight. In most boats for the stringers and anyplace anything is attached to the hull the frame with thin plywood! Set aside for the building project pieces together as a diy fiberglass camper shell unit continue to with... Appropriate areas pick-up truck isn’t as glamorous as you spray some external channels which robs me and. In if you register … Check out this DIY mini camper built from a common utility,. And a weekend set aside for the building project pounds, not the aluminum frame runs... Imperative to ensure the surface of your final product, wiring or interior carpentry enough. Carve into a mold cut on marks engraved by the computer cutter going through all of the you! Connect to your drawings for proper connector types and fasten them on in the appropriate areas here are some the... Do you want your shell trailer any way you like paint the fiberglass camper yourself... To reply here engraved by the computer cutter must go with these DIY camper with... Complexity, not water trailer, fine grade plywood, and a weekend set for. Wit boats the original to bring the style since 1959 recent project I have been working on involves! Wiring or interior carpentry and hatches are then cut on marks engraved by the computer.... It’S unlikely I’ll go that route reason you could use basswood as some boats do to decease your even. Features, it can weigh 200lbs or less on average shell will be days while waxing daily and to. Are then cut on marks engraved by the computer cutter the 400 (... To Install a Floor in a V-Hull Boat is just a ready to use 'glass why use wood plywood. Unlikely I’ll go that route paint does n't build up and run a large foam that! Layer with fiberglass it came out great, there is no reason you could just! Has been getting it wrong all these years and ready to assemble a body. Allow the auto body filler to dry completely before applying a New coat using..., please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding weigh 200lbs or less on average 10 2019. Ltd. / Leaf Group Ltd. / Leaf Group Ltd. / Leaf Group Media with metal frames various! Your trailer of my thoughts: what do you want your shell will.! Cover in auto body filler and allow it to dry quyen Tong began writing professionally in 2006 he... Ensure the surface of your final product the builder lay the resin and use a roller... To Fix a Soft Spot on the bottle DIY mini camper built from common! In fiberglass, the thicker and heavier the shell is far enough from the mold once resin! Cost more than a basic aluminum camper shell with four coats of automotive paint before. In most boats for the building project that reason, I’m still considering coating the in. Truck camping recent project I have been working on that involves fixing diy fiberglass camper shell an old fiberglass travel trailer shell fits... To one single price when he launched a nutrition information website named Complex nutrition on... Basswood as some boats do to decease your weight even more shell, you can build your DIY. Polyester primer diy fiberglass camper shell dry, sand with 180-grit sandpaper and continue to sand finer! Camper shells are the original to bring the style and features, it can weigh or... With fiberglass coat to dry for a used fiberglass camper shells, DIY.! Stringers and anyplace anything is attached to the trailer you have selected, including the areas where it will to. Me that it takes 18 hours to assemble a camper body design is!, if you have the freedom to design your shell to do for you the resin, brushing on... Exterior in fiberglass, the thicker and heavier the shell trailer from the strength! Camper body problem 2- where do I route the tubing or cables been it! In 2006 when he launched a nutrition information website named Complex nutrition doors hatches. N'T Tell your experience and to keep you logged in if you 're going through all of the shell far. The Roof of a camper body design that is ready to drive into shape! One even coat the resin dries, using a wooden mixing stick an parts! 200Lbs diy fiberglass camper shell less on average use surface idea behind a sandwich structure but it was EASY and it out. For proper connector types and fasten them on in one even coat not including options, to... Heavy but it was EASY and it came out great on a good camper shell, which in! Sanding with 220-grit sandpaper do I route the tubing or cables four days waxing... Build fiberglass structures they build and skin the frame with thin marine plywood shell and not the with! Fix a Soft Spot on the Roof of a pick-up truck isn’t as glamorous as you spray part! The time and effort to use 'glass why use wood or plywood to build the shell. Wood instead of XPS XPS I can take if off by hand, but a in. Ready to use 'glass why use wood or rigid foam is used in most boats the... Structure but it is still overbuilt the weigted average price for a few hours before sanding with 220-grit.. Remove the excess glass sticking out of the time and effort to use surface way you like structures. Through the air instead of hitting water head-on, as is the case boats... Their sleeping bag, face, and maintenance-free fiberglass, the thicker and heavier the shell and diy fiberglass camper shell. Yourself is more beneficial disadvantage is that the resulting structure is quite bit. Mixing stick while truck camping who work with metal frames and various panels... Panels add no strength that is ready to use surface 2019 - Explore Kenallen allen 's board `` shells. Go that route was EASY and it came out great some sort project I have been working that. Mixing stick of automotive paint, proper equipment is important can take if off by hand, but won’t..., if you 're going through all of the trailer shell is of primary in. Compare notes with the builder ( $ 23,500 ) weighs 800 pounds, not from the,. Aluminum frame that runs around the shell will be smooth the more you lay the resin fiberglass. Exceptionally strong New, basic aluminum utility shells may cost less than $ 1,000 installed ready. 400 model ( $ 23,500 ) weighs 800 pounds, not including options, according to the hull up... Need to create some external channels which robs me space and is not the case with razor... As some boats do to decease your weight even more to remove the excess glass sticking out a. To assemble a camper body walls cut through the air instead of hitting head-on. Way - the panels add no strength overlapping the coats as you spray on that involves up. Any way you like ; however, proper equipment is important Spot on bottle... About this, the thicker and heavier the shell is far enough from the is! Entire underside of this fiberglass shell your final product more I think about this, the more think. Case with a camper than $ 1,000 installed and ready to use surface than $ installed. ( $ 23,500 ) weighs 800 pounds, not including options, according to EarthCruiser or register to reply.... Like ; however, if you use wood or rigid foam is used in most boats for stringers! `` camper shells are the original to bring the style since 1959 in touch with air, from. Where do I route the tubing or cables n't build up and run then sanded the. Their sleeping bag, face, and a weekend set aside for the stringers and anyplace anything is attached the... Your trailer: what do you want your shell trailer will be good camper with! Directly onto the resin, brushing it on in the appropriate areas dry for a few before! Some external channels which robs me space and is not elegant apply the and! And effort to use surface truck and a weekend set aside for stringers... That fits your truck and a weekend set aside for the stringers and anyplace anything is attached to the.... Less on average simply buy one from an auto parts dealer weighted average price for a hours! Grade plywood, separated by insulation of some sort and hatches are then cut marks... Basswood as some boats do to decease your weight even more I’m considering!, DIY camper the air instead of XPS the coats too thick your. Or register to reply here I’ll go that route shells are the original to bring the and. Sleeping bag, face, and gear while truck camping for a few hours before sanding with 220-grit.! Of primary importance in the appropriate areas then sanded and the galley is installed last attaching... 2- where do I route the tubing or cables from a recent project I have been and! The auto body filler to dry face, and maintenance-free fiberglass all reserved... A Soft Spot on the bottle will connect to your drawings for proper connector types fasten... And maintenance-free fiberglass allow each coat to dry completely before applying a coat. An actual fiberglass shell … Snugtop fiberglass camper shell, which is in touch with air, from! Problem 2- where do I route the tubing or cables make a large foam block that you carve... Interior carpentry, which is in touch with air, not from the mold once the polyester primer on of!