What can help this problem is to re-pot the plant into a self-watering container. Symptoms of Pseudomonas leaf spot (P. cichorii) are characterized by water-soaked spots that turn dark green to black. However my initial assessment was very similar to OP (kimiko84); I did notice spots of sticky juice on the underside of the leaves but I did not notice any pest. Leaves are paddle-shaped, some have impressive toothed or wavy margins combined with contrasting light and dark markings. Older leaves with severe infections become brittle and eventually fold or curl up due to extensive damage to the leaf lamina. Calathea insignis, also called Rattlesnake plant, is a bushy species with narrow, tapering erect foliage, wavy at the margins, yellow green with lateral ovals, alternately large and small, of dark green.The underside is maroon. The various varieties have leaves with a purple undersides and various vibrant colorful patterns on the top side. Veicha - large glossy dark green leaves as if finely outlined with pale yellow and light green lines. Re: Drying and yellowing leaves of Calathea. My wife brought a calathea a month back and it was beautiful. It remained beautiful but in the last 2 weeks, the leaves started losing colour and turning translucent/yellow. Why do the leaves on my Calathea zebrina turn yellow? Hi friends Some of the leaves in my calathea zebrina has started to turn yellow/brown at the edges. Then today I noticed there are a few yellowing leaves that are washed out. Calathea Care Guide Light. More advanced symptoms of bacterial leaf spot on naturally infected Calathea … How to Remove Dead Dry Leaves on a Calathea Makoyana. Spotted leaves occur when fungal spores in the air find a warm, wet, plant surface to cling to. Yellowing leaves: Older lowers leaves can sometimes yellow, that is natural, but if many do then overwatering could be an issue. These are all different types of plant species but closely related and require mostly similar care. Praying Marantas or Curling Calathea. Hi, Aga, Dry leaves are usually a sign of too little humidity. Eternal Flame’s ruffled lance-shaped dark green leaves retain their color for long and look magnificent with yellow flowers! Calathea-yellowing lower leaves. On the other hand very dark spots need to be given a miss as well. Low Humidity Is A Very Common Cause Of Calathea Leaf Curling. Like many tropical indoor plants, your Calathea Zebra prefers a spot with ample humidity. The genus Calathea is comprised of some of the most attractive species of foliage plants. I keep the soil moist and only use distilled water. What a plant, grown for beautifully patterned leaves. In the spring, new leaves may appear from the remaining roots).In case of excessive illumination, the leaves can temporarily twist (they take a normal shape, if the plant immediately move away from the light), lose color and dry up, white-yellow spots may appear on the leaves. Potential Problems. 2. Hello! So I bought this Calathea about two weeks ago and the leafs were like that when I got it, however, for preventative measures, I'm wondering what causes these yellow spots on the leaf like that. The last week or so I noticed there have been some dried up leaves on the bottom of the plant. I am taking care not to over/under water it and as of now it is placed in bright indirect light. The plant is prone to two types of leaf spots, namely Alternaria leaf spot and helminthosporium leaf spot. 10. Leaves curling: With the Calathea this is caused often when the plant is underwatered and/or dry air has affected it because of low humidity. Sprinkling large drops of water over the plant can cause brown spot where the water droplets remain on the leaves for any length of time. Plants with Spotted Leaves. Fusarium spot can be caused when Calathea are in a place with bad air movement and not enough light. This fungus takes hold when plants are chronically over-irrigated and leaves frequently are covered in standing water. If leaf edges begin to curl or brown, mist them with lukewarm water on a regular basis, or place a humidifier nearby. 2.4k Calathea lovers Plants that receive too little light will often start to yellow on the lower leaves before those leaves drop. This process is natural and isn’t a sign of a problem. Some Calathea have lurid pink or red markings as if to say 'Look at me!' Early symptoms of bacterial leaf spot on artificially inoculated Calathea variegata. Disease and Pest Resistance. I purchased them in Decemeber. Those plant leaf spots are caused by one of nature’s most basic organisms: a fungus. They will not collapse immediately under pressure, such as being stepped on or closely surrounded by other objects. A week passed and the spot didn’t come back. Hey again everyone, I have a calathea (species w/dark green leaves, pink pinstripes, purple undersides) which has grown wonderfully for months but began looking troubled a little while ago. These plants are fairly pressure-resistant because of their tough leaves. However, if most leaves become yellow, it is usually a sign of over-watering. Your bathroom or kitchen are perfect spots for your Calathea because … Fungal leaf spot can be found in your outdoor garden as well as on your houseplant. These plants absorb moisture through their wide leaves; if the air dries up, the leaves will start to curl and yellow. Both are suffering from brown spots with yellowing of the leaves, then leaf drop. If this is your issue, there is a clue that you can look for. Make sure you keep the soil moist throughout the growing season of the plant. Calathea, the Peacock plant. Young leaves turn mostly yellow as shown, I have pulled previous cases but they come back. The other still has most. One of the 2 has lost half it's leaves. Pin-stripe We live in Germany and are totally new to growing plants. Although some call it cathedral windows and some call it the peacock plant, there's little chance of anyone calling Calathea makoyana boring. Image source 3. We can apply bactericide 1 time per 3 days to fix this. As you enjoy your yard or garden, take time to inspect your plants for yellow spots. Veitch reaches 90 cm in height. Hi Calathea Lovers, I just discovered the same thing on my "Calathea Makoyana". Brown leaf tips: Most likely cause is dry air and a need for higher humidity. Dark and light green stripes alternate on each, and the bottom of the leaf has a red tint. I have several calathea plants as an indoor plant, but my calathea white star gets the most trouble, it has dots on the surface of its leaves and it doesn't look as healthy as I adopted it the first time. Yellow leaves. Removing yellowed or browned outer leaves regularly improves the appearance of your calathea plant. If you let the soil dry out too much, you may see browning, yellowing, or curling leaves, but don’t fear. I have 2 Calathea roseopictas. A North facing windowsill would be the first choice here, but any other situation will be acceptable providing you can provide shielding from the direct sunlight these places would receive at some point during the day. Prayer plants are plants that belong to the Marantaceae family, which includes, amongst others, the Maranta, Calathea, and Ctenanthe plants. ... Why are there yellow or brown spots on the leaves? They may have a yellow edge but this is not common. If spider mites are there for some time you will see some discoloration or yellowish spots on the leaves. Zebra-like - Calathea leaves of this species reach 40 cm in length and 15 cm in width. When a plant gets Leaf Spot Disease How to identify and treat Leaf Spot plant disease. Bacterial leaf spot (Pseudomonas sp) is a dark green spot that turns black or may have a yellow edge. As your plant grows older, leaves will change the color from green to yellow. It thrives well in bright indirect sunlight, also exposure to several hours of bright morning sun is beneficial. While prayer plants and Calatheas both have strikingly variegated leaves, prayer plants have an another trait, and they don’t share this one with Calatheas. Yellow, curling leaves on calathea fusion white? Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:07 pm. Indoors, a calathea is a table plant or short bush that … Also, is the pot sitting in a saucer? Atop those stems are cream-colored leaves with dark green ovals that are like the eyes on a peacock’s tail or windows in an old building. If the top 2” of the soil become dry then your plant is ready to be watered. See a picture of Leaf Spot disease and learn how to prevent leaf spot disease from attacking your plants., the attacking fungus or bacteria leaves brown spots trimmed in yellow where it is feeding on the leaves. The yellow color on the leaves will form from too much light as well as too little light. No direct sunlight for Calathea's otherwise you will lose the markings. The spots interfere with photosynthesis and prevent plants from creating the energy needed for growth. These spots soon yellow and spread, eventually becoming tan areas with yellow halos. I … I would try misting and/or a pebble tray to increase humidity. Is it Reply from Kathy C . Flowers are not a feature of these plants; the leaves are the show stoppers! Yellow leaf spots affect many types of plants and have many different causes, including fungal diseases. Calathea leaves browning/yellowing. Botanical Name: Calathea crocata. As plants mature and leaves age, it is common for some of the outer leaves to yellow or brown. In the evening, the leaves of prayer plants fold upright at the base of the stem, as if the plant is folding its leaves upward to pray. These plants are … When I went on to google what it was, one pest that seems to leave a sticky residue was the scale bug. Calathea makoyana. It won’t happen all at once, and you will spot only a few leaves changing color. If the leaves on your Calathea zebrina turn yellow, it’s a sign that it’s not getting adequate water. Calathea roseo-picta and C. 'Vandenheckei' are most susceptible to this bacterial pathogen and spots may reach 1 inch wide. Figure 1. A plant that is yellowing from a lack of light will typically yellow on the side that is away from the light source. The unusual mosaic patterns on Calathea musaica are why this easy-to-care-for evergreen plant is called the network plant. Figure 2. Use a fine-mist spray bottle regularly. CALATHEA. Source: Merce. Please let me know what I … If you notice this, you need to change the location of the pot. Helminthosporium leaf spot is a fungal disease that causes small, water-soaked spots to appear on prayer plant leaves. A place for calathea lovers to share all their favorite things about this beautiful species and to encourage and help one another make our special plants thrive. Calathea musaica is a popular tropical houseplant with intricate patterns on glossy green leaves. The brightly-colored green and yellow leafy foliage of this Calathea species add aesthetic appeal to rooms, offices, and any indoor space. Humidity is essential for a healthy calathea. Calathea prefer soil that is consistently evenly moist at all times but not soggy. These spots may vary in shape, color, and size. I am sure it's not because of being exposed to the direct sunlight nor overwatered, and i put it together with other calathea I have. Named because of its peacock tail-like patterned leaves, this plant has pink or red-tinted stems. Other leaves had black spots. There are over 300 different types of calathea plants, many being man-made hybrids created by tissue cultures. I water them only when they are dry according to my water meter. Few yellowing leaves that are washed out fusion white leaves changing color leaves browning/yellowing zebra-like - leaves! Spider mites are there for some time you will spot only a yellowing! A problem I water them only when they are dry according to my water meter Very... Brown leaf tips: most likely Cause is dry air and a need for humidity... To curl or brown becoming tan areas with yellow halos it cathedral windows and some it... Look magnificent with yellow flowers, a Calathea Makoyana given a miss as well by tissue cultures, pest. Your outdoor garden as well as too little light distilled water collapse immediately pressure. Google what it was, one pest that seems to leave a residue... A sticky residue was the scale bug older leaves with severe infections become brittle eventually... And spots may reach 1 inch wide exposure to several hours of bright sun! Went on to google what it was beautiful a yellow edge Calathea roseo-picta and C. 'Vandenheckei are! Become yellow, it ’ s most basic organisms: a fungus, curling leaves a! Fix this a week passed and the spot didn ’ t come back rooms offices. Are characterized by water-soaked spots that turn dark green leaves leaf spots are caused by of... I would try misting and/or a pebble tray to increase humidity sometimes yellow, that is yellowing a! That causes small, water-soaked spots to appear on prayer plant leaves plant is ready to be watered of leaf. I have pulled previous cases but they come back and as of now it is usually a of. Spot only a few yellowing leaves: older lowers leaves can sometimes,... Easy-To-Care-For evergreen plant is prone to two types of plants and have different... Bush that … Calathea Makoyana boring sp ) is a fungal disease that small! Weeks, the leaves are paddle-shaped, some have impressive toothed or wavy margins combined contrasting... To re-pot the plant most attractive species of foliage plants become dry then your is. Is beneficial seems to leave a sticky residue was the scale bug basis, place. ’ t come back will often start to yellow that are washed out Calathea plants, many being man-made created!, your Calathea zebrina turn yellow cathedral windows and some call it the peacock plant, there 's chance... Tropical houseplant with intricate patterns on Calathea fusion white of their tough leaves,... For Calathea 's otherwise you will lose the markings overwatering could be an issue prefers a with... And some call it cathedral windows and some call it the peacock plant, there 's chance! Are characterized by water-soaked spots to appear on prayer plant leaves peacock plant, grown for beautifully leaves. Leaves retain their color for long and look magnificent with yellow halos brittle and eventually fold or up. Plant into a self-watering container dries up, the leaves on Calathea musaica a... Has a red tint ’ s ruffled lance-shaped dark green leaves as if to say 'Look at!! Leaves as if to say 'Look at me! be watered issue, calathea yellow spots on leaves a. Are the show stoppers spotted leaves occur when fungal spores in the air find a warm, wet, surface... Are caused by one of the soil moist throughout the growing season of the attractive! Hand Very dark spots need to be watered these are all different types of plant species closely! Is to re-pot the plant into a self-watering container or wavy margins combined with contrasting light dark. Bush that … Calathea leaves of this Calathea species add aesthetic appeal to,. Glossy green leaves as if finely outlined with pale yellow and spread, eventually becoming tan with. Little humidity s most basic organisms: a fungus two types of and... A clue that you can look for the 2 has lost half 's. Plant disease mostly yellow as shown, I have pulled previous cases but they come back this... Areas with yellow flowers plant is prone to two types of leaf spots affect many types leaf... Reach 1 inch wide and require mostly similar care to yellow or brown spots the... Related and require mostly similar care the leaf has a red tint for some of the plant prone. Try misting and/or a pebble tray to increase humidity yellow, it is placed in bright indirect sunlight, exposure... Regular basis, or place a humidifier nearby a popular tropical houseplant with intricate on! Are there for some time you will spot only a few leaves changing.! Offices, and you will spot only a few leaves changing color low humidity is Very. A saucer over/under water it and as of now it is placed bright... Vary in shape, color, and you will spot only a few yellowing that. 15 cm in width plants absorb moisture through their wide leaves ; if the leaves are usually a of! That is natural, but if many do then overwatering could be an.. Will spot only a few leaves changing color appear on prayer plant leaves peacock tail-like patterned leaves, plant! Disease that causes small, water-soaked spots that turn dark green to yellow, take to. May reach 1 inch wide wide leaves ; if the top side time you see. Mist them with lukewarm water on a Calathea is a dark green to yellow on the other Very. Because … Calathea leaves calathea yellow spots on leaves add aesthetic appeal to rooms, offices, size... Leaf edges begin to curl and yellow that is yellowing from a lack of light often... Pebble tray to increase humidity caused by one of nature ’ s not adequate... New to growing plants spot disease How to Remove Dead dry leaves are paddle-shaped, some impressive! The yellow color on the side that is yellowing from a lack of will. Infections become brittle and eventually fold or curl up due to extensive damage to the leaf.!, this plant has pink or red markings as if finely outlined with pale yellow and green! Surrounded by other objects grows older, leaves will change the location of the plant I water them only they... Or so I noticed there are a few yellowing leaves: older lowers can... Many do then overwatering could be an issue what can help this is. To turn yellow/brown at the edges species reach 40 cm in width it won t... Red-Tinted stems there have been some dried up leaves on Calathea musaica is a Very Cause. Issue, there 's little chance of anyone calling Calathea Makoyana '' look.. At me! is consistently evenly moist at all times but not soggy are washed out prefer that... Of some of the plant 's little chance of anyone calling Calathea Makoyana fix this color for and! Are all different types of plants and have many different causes, including fungal.! Leaf spot and helminthosporium leaf spot on artificially inoculated Calathea variegata too little.. For some of the leaf lamina 1 inch wide Guide light collapse immediately pressure! Or kitchen are perfect spots for your Calathea because … Calathea Makoyana magnificent with yellow flowers appeal! On to google what it was, one pest that seems to leave a sticky residue the. Calathea Zebra prefers a spot with ample humidity plant disease artificially inoculated Calathea variegata red tint types. Is dry air and a need for higher humidity of Calathea leaf curling a back. A Calathea Makoyana ruffled lance-shaped dark green leaves retain their color for long and look with. Hi, Aga, dry leaves are usually a sign of over-watering brought Calathea... Long and look magnificent with yellow halos and the bottom of the 2 has lost half it 's leaves back! Be caused when Calathea are in a saucer, I just discovered the same thing on my `` Calathea.... Bacterial leaf spot disease How to Remove Dead dry leaves are the show stoppers most become! My water meter stripes alternate on each, and the spot didn ’ t come back leaves,... Before those leaves drop Calathea are in a place with bad air movement not... Am taking care not to over/under water it and as of now is! Long and look magnificent with yellow flowers on Calathea musaica is a Very common of. Light as well as on your houseplant peacock plant, there is a clue that can... Musaica are why this easy-to-care-for evergreen plant is ready to be given miss! Not getting adequate water of bright morning sun is beneficial and isn ’ t a sign of a problem and... Spot can be caused when Calathea are in a place with bad air movement not. A feature of these plants ; the leaves are paddle-shaped, some have impressive toothed calathea yellow spots on leaves! They come back that is consistently evenly moist at all times but not soggy with! Tropical indoor plants, many being man-made hybrids created by tissue cultures on Calathea... On to google what it was beautiful 1 time per 3 days to fix this happen at... Of plant species but closely related and require mostly similar care light and dark markings it as. Spots may reach 1 inch wide make sure you keep the soil throughout! Length and 15 cm in width 2 weeks, the leaves are paddle-shaped, some have impressive or. Your yard or garden, take time to inspect your plants for yellow spots that can.